Making the most of the present
Do you know of this fantastic quote: “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present”? ‘Yesterday’ has passed and cannot be changed. ‘Tomorrow is nothing more than your imagination; all you have in your hands is ‘today’. You need to stop crying over the past and dreaming about the future or you will lose the precious moments of today, which are on its way to turning history in just a few moments!
While it is not a bad thing to take a walk down memory lane every now and then, crying over the past will do no good. You need to move on without burdening yourself with the memories of the mistakes you made earlier. The guilt of not responding to the opportunity and failing to achieve what you could have will not let you live your present to the fullest. You will definitely miss out on the beauty & joy of the present if you fall prey to the futile imagination of the future and regrets of the past.
You need to understand that while you learn from your mistakes made in the past, the only way to make a great future is by focusing on your present actions. Instead of keeping your mind busy with endless thoughts pertaining to the actions of your past and plans for the future, just enjoy what is happening in the present to create some wonderful memories. Living the present to the fullest should be on top of your priority list. To sum up, the points listed below suggest things that need to be done to live in the present and make it count:
• Be aware of your thoughts. Divert your thoughts from dwelling in the past every now and then.
• Stop regretting missed out opportunities. Opportunities keep coming from time to time. It is important to have a positive outlook.
• Take out time to relax, look around and see what is happening. Don’t just live in your own sweet world! You may just miss out something exciting that you may never get a chance to experience again in your lifetime. Stop sitting idle. Engage yourself in activities that make you happy.
• Focus on creating lovely memories. Spend quality time with your family and friends. If you have kids that are growing up, spend good amount of time with them. You need to realize that you will never see them in this stage again.
• Go on a holiday at least once a year with your family or friends. Don’t let the thoughts of the past and the planning for the future steal away your present. Make most out of your present! A moment gone is a moment lost and you will never be able to live it again. So, live every moment of your present to the fullest. As they say, it is not the end result but the journey that really matters! Most of the time we are worried of things that MIGHT happen in the future. But you don’t have problems in the NOW. Read Eckard Tolle and you will find out how to live in the now…!